We use an EC2 image onto which we install Java, Ant, Hadoop, etc. To
make it simple, pull those from S3 buckets. That provides a flexible
pattern for managing the frameworks involved, more so than needing to
re-do an EC2 image whenever you want to add a patch to Hadoop.

Given that approach, you can add your Hadoop application code
similarly. Just upload the current stable build out of SVN, Git,
whatever, to an S3 bucket.

We use a set of Python scripts to manage a daily, (mostly) automated
launch of 100+ EC2 nodes for a Hadoop cluster.  We also run a listener
on a local server, so that the Hadoop job can send notification when
it completes, and allow the local server to initiate download of
results.  Overall, that minimizes the need for having a sysadmin
dedicated to the Hadoop jobs -- a small dev team can handle it, while
focusing on algorithm development and testing.