Arijit Mukherjee wrote:
Thanx Enis.

By workflow, I was trying to mean something like a chain of MapReduce
jobs - the first one will extract a certain amount of data from the
original set and do some computation resulting in a smaller summary,
which will then be the input to a further MR job, and so on...somewhat
similar to a workflow as in the SOA world.

Yes, you can always chain job together to form a final summary. o.a.h.mapred.jobcontrol.JobControl might be interesting for you.
Is it possible to use statistical analysis tools such as R (or say PL/R)
within MapReduce on Hadoop? As far as I've heard, Greenplum is working
on a custom MapReduce engine over their Greenplum database which will
also support PL/R procedures.
Using R on Hadoop might include some level of custom coding. If you are looking for an ad-hoc tool for data mining, then check Pig and Hive.

Enis
Arijit

Dr. Arijit Mukherjee
Principal Member of Technical Staff, Level-II
Connectiva Systems (I) Pvt. Ltd.
J-2, Block GP, Sector V, Salt Lake
Kolkata 700 091, India
Phone: +91 (0)33 23577531/32 x 107