Why do we not use the Remaining % in place of use Used % when we are selecting datanode for new data and when running the balancer. form what I can tell we are using the use % used and we do not factor in non DFS Used at all. I see a datanode with only a 60GB hard drive fill up completely 100% before the other servers that have 130+GB hard drives get half full. Seams like Trying to keep the same % free on the drives in the cluster would be more optimal in production.
I know this still may not be perfect but would be nice if we tried.

Billy