Indeed, it would be a very nice interface to have (if anyone has some free time....)!

I know a few Caltech people who'd like to see how how their WAN transfer product (http://monalisa.cern.ch/FDT/) would work with HDFS; if there was a HDFS NIO interface, playing around with HDFS and FDT would be fairly trivial.

Brian