Hey ,
You can do that.That system should have same usrname like those of cluster
and ofcourse it  should be able to ssh name node.Also it should have hadoop
and its hadoop-site.xml should be similar .Then u can access namenode,hdfs
etc.

if you are willing to see the web interface that can be done easily using
any system.