Ian Soboroff wrote:
Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org> writes:

I think from your perpective it makes sense as it stops anyone getting
itchy fingers and doing their own RPMs.

Um, what's wrong with that?

It's reallly hard to do good RPM spec files. If cloudera are willing to pay Matt to do it, not only do I welcome it, but will see if I can help him with some of the automated test setup they'll need.

One thing which would be useful would be to package up all of the hadoop functional tests that need a live cluster up as its own JAR, so the test suite could be run against an RPM installation on different Virtual OS/JVM combos. I've just hit this problem with my own RPMs on Java6 (java security related), so know that having the ability to use the entire existing test suite against an RPM installation would be be beneficial (both in my case and for hadoop RPMS)