Hi.

I've heard that HDFS starts to slow down after it's been running for a long
time.  And I believe I've experienced this.   So, I was thinking to set up a
cron job to execute every week to shutdown HDFS and start it up again.

In concept, it would be something like:

0 0 0 0 0 $HADOOP_HOME/bin/stop-dfs.sh; $HADOOP_HOME/bin/start-dfs.sh

But I'm wondering if there is a safer way to do this.  In particular:

*         What if a map/reduce job is running when this cron hits.  Is there a
way to suspend jobs while the HDFS restart happens?

*         Should I also restart the mapred daemons?

*         Should I wait some time after "stop-dfs.sh" for things to settle
down, before executing "start-dfs.sh"?  Or maybe I should run a command to
verify that it is stopped before I run the start?

Thanks for any help.
Marc

PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL - NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT FOR ONLY
THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THE TRANSMISSION, AND MAY BE A COMMUNICATION
PRIVILEGE BY LAW. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY REVIEW, USE,
DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS EMAIL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND PLEASE DELETE
THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.