On 8 October 2016 at 13:27, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:
> On Oct 07, 2016, at 11:31 PM, Maciej Szulik wrote:
>
>>There's one nit with that cherry-pick, it already creates the commit, and
>>current description states you should create a commit after running tests
>>[1].
>
> You can also use cherry-pick -n/--no-commit.

It probably makes more sense to assume a successful backport as the
default case, and cover "git commit --amend" to handle the case where
the tests fail - the ease with which history can be rewritten prior to
publication is the main UX benefit git offers over hg, so we may as
well take advantage of it.

That is, there are 3 reasonably common possible flows:

- backport with no merge conflicts, tests pass (default flow)
- backport with merge conflicts (git will prompt for this)
- backport with test failures (cover with "git commit --amend")

Recommending "--no-commit" as the default makes the first flow longer
by adding a separate commit step without actually simplifying the
others.

Cheers,
Nick.