[ Note: There seems to be something wrong with mailing list delivery. I did not receive this Peter's latest message at all, but found it in the mailing list archive instead. Other coreboot lists messages have arrived to my inbox after that. ]

Peter Stuge wrote:

Flash emulator would be nice, but emulating a SPI flash ROM would
require single clock cycle response times for ordinary read
commands. There is very little time for the ROM from receiving the
last address bit to start transmitting the data.

Yep, an emulator should be SRAM backed.

True, and additionally the controller between SPI and SRAM has to be able to react very quickly, which would mean using an FPGA or similar.

A microcontroller would have to have quite a high frequency to be able to react to a command within 1 cycle, even at 16 MHz.

All right. With QFP on the table there's suddenly a whole lot more
possibilities for the design.

Actully I was surprised myself how good the result with QFP-32 package was. However, that is already quite near the limit of my current skills and tools.

OK, so.. Do you like svn or git? Let's set up a repository or two
for this work.

Good idea! I suppose git would do better for this job, since I expect that the development is quite decentralized. Right now I have only the prototype board schematics and layout, but I suppose that is already better than nothing. Do have a good home for a git repository available?

Best regards,
Juhana Helovuo