On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 4:41 PM Peter Stuge <pe...@stuge.se> wrote:

> ron minnich wrote:
> > And, yes, no question, this is an activity that likely occurs less than it
> > should. Such is our industry.
>
> Such is project policy. Maybe because it's the lowest common
> denominator in industry.

The project's policy is to remove code that becomes difficult to
maintain, whether due to bitrot or technical barriers to refactoring.

> > It is not possible to know, a priori, what those common pieces will be.
>
> I think this is where we fundamentally disagree. I think common
> pieces and their interfaces can be recognized based on the hard
> IP blocks and their interfaces plus some creative thinking based
> on development experience.

I'm pretty sure the Intel engineers who wrote the Archer City CRB code
didn't have IBM's and ByteDance's server specs handy or know how they
would use the code.

OTOH Intel also has this thing called EDK2 where they implement all
kinds of interfaces for each IP block, however it requires a hugely
bloated framework and never quite works the way you want, requiring
ungodly hacks to the sources and build system to override the default
behaviors. I prefer to keep things simple and just refactor a few
lines of coreboot code when needed.