Hi

>    1.
>
>    This particular issue was not brought to the attention of coreboot
>    leadership by anybody at Google or Intel. Someone in coreboot's small
>    business ecosystem asked us to look into CB:84356
>    <https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/84356>, which later spawned
>    other patches. The subtext is that upstream development is very difficult
>    and spending days squabbling over a tiny part of a spec that we don't
>    control (FSP in this case, but the same is true of SBI, TFA, UEFI, etc) is
>    counterproductive. What caught the leadership team's attention was the
>    introduction of personal insults into the mix which made a heated debate
>    between two individuals much worse. We expect better from everyone,
>    especially senior members of the community.
>
> A spec, like any text, needs interpretation which means it can require a
discussion to work with it.
How to implement a spec for sure requires discussion.
Specs also have flaws and discussions on it are useful to prevent them.
Tiny parts of the spec can have important implications, so things can get
heated...
So I disagree with this statement. (Not sure why but my email editor does
not quote the number of the argument correctly. Sorry for that).

The personal insult is basically "did you read the spec". I don't think
"RTFM" is particularly insulting and certainly not worth banning someone
for a year.

>    1.
>
>    We acknowledge that Nico has a certain communication style, and like
>    others in this thread we've each been on the receiving end of it and have
>    rationalized brushing it off for one reason or another. However, this does
>    not work in aggregate within a community or organization where many people
>    can take it many different ways, especially given that we're a global
>    organization with people of varying levels of language proficiency.
>
> As indicated by this thread a lot of people really like working with Nico.
Do we really want our community to have the lowest common denominator of
what everyone can stomach communication-wise, determine who can participate?
I don't think so.

>    1.
>
>    One can create a hostile environment even without overt actions such
>    as hitting someone, yelling profanity, inappropriate contact, etc. To put
>    this in another context, imagine the storm that would ensue if your
>    company's HR department responded to complaints of sexual harassment by a
>    guy named Bob in the sales department by saying "We've known for years that
>    Bob likes to flirt with his coworkers and we have asked him to tone it
>    down. Some have told us that they don't mind too much, and those who
>    complain probably just misunderstand his communication style. Besides, a
>    lot of people like Bob and he is a really great salesman!" Eventually it
>    comes crashing down with more and more collateral damage the longer it's
>    left unchecked.
>
> Overzealous HR departments can do at least as much damage as leaving
alleged bad actors unchecked. This is precisely what is happening right now.

I think these leadership decisions to ban away the most competent people in
our project are poor decisions (it does not seem to be the first time) and
have a chilling effect on others.
The cost benefit ratio is not good here.

Arthur Heymans