Dear Michael

Since I have been kind of "at it" on NLP, I thought to be fair to not miss
out on this call, I hope similar calls could find these remarks useful:

i. NLP as CHI (Computer-Human Interaction) is fine;
ii. some information can be extracted based on text, not all; (there might
also be a "culture/disciplinary/technical gap" on the term "meaning";)
iii. some or a few text-based phenomena can be captured in
statistical/machine learning (if one knows what and how --- without
tokenization and with full data (i.e. without discarding any data) --- this
can be considered advanced research or the next goalpost compared to what
has been customarily done in "NLP"). Most text-based phenomena, claimed in
"NLP" thus far, may not really need ML or be compatible with ML, esp. if
there are no statistical correlates.

I suppose NLP is still an explicit re-evaluation phase. There is much to
clean up. It is important to examine more carefully the interaction between
statistical/numerical and textual values.

Thanks for bearing with me and my remarks here.

Best
Ada