By "captioned movies" I meant those movies with written translation text on the bottom of the screen. I mean, you can listen to what people say, enjoy the various kinds of accent - I still remember "The Lord of the Rings" and the British accent of most of its characters - and read the translation.
About a way to improve our English... well, I have no other suggestion than this one - it's a very cheap option; anyone can rent a videotape or a DVD with captions even in developing countries like ours.
Taking part on chat sessions (via Messenger or anything like this) seems a good option too.
Priscila
From: Luciene Lima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Reply-To: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Any questions?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:34:22 -0200
Hi Pri!
Don't shame on you if you don't take part on the discussions for you don't have a personal computer. So, you're doing your best with the less...:-)
It seems the problem of this group is that the challenge is bigger than the intention that made it come in.
In the end, it seems there isn't a way to make people good at english if they don't interact between each other and if they don't have a method to do it here in the group.
The real possibility I can see it happening if the meeting between everybody, what seems impossible as each lives in a different an far away place.
Besides the website I've sent the address and the reading - that's normally done alone - I can not see any exit. Yes, you're right in suggesting the caption, the problem is not all people has this tool to take hand of. For example, I don't know if the ones who live in India or in the Brasil's suburbs can count on this recourse. But, never mind, your suggestion is good anyway and can be used by the ones who can count on.
Do you have suggestion to help these group members improving their skills thru this mails exchange? Or do they have to try out of here?
Hugs,
Luciene
2005/9/26, Priscila Moura Arakaki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:Hi, Luciene and Arasu,
My name is Priscila. I'm a 1st. year graduate student of Languages, and seldom ever take part on the discussions of this group - shame on me!! The fact is, I currently don't have a personal computer - I can only get and reply to my e-mails at my job.
I live in Sao Paulo too - I've noticed many Brazilians have joined this group lately! Perhaps we all could get together some day to practice English...
I fully agree to your suggestion, and I'd like to add another: Watching captioned movies! That's wonderful to improve vocabulary and pronunciation. I use to go to movie theaters with a small booklet and a pen to take notes...
All the best,
Priscila Arakaki
From: Luciene Lima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Reply-To: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Any questions?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:46:28 -0200
Hi Arasu,My name's Luciene and I live in Brasil, Sao Paulo city.How are ya doing?My tip to make you improve yor english is: read a lot.Another tip é: give a try to http://www2.uol.com.br/speakup/Thru this web site you can listen to tapes while you read what's going on.Another important tip is: try to talk with people about interesting things to you. It's not useful if you try to talk with someone to improve your english but the subject choose does not have interest to you, do you understand?Hugs,Luciene
2005/9/23, Arasu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
hi, I'm from chennai (India). I'm not fluent in english. what to do to
develop my language? please help me.
