Hi snew,

I don't know what language is your native language or where you learned
English, but, as Ryan McGuire said, the sentence you quoted "sounds" ok
to me too, as an American.

But remember that USA English (as opposed to Canadian English) really
runs rough-shod over the grammatical rules.  Especially in speech that
is quoted in novels, you can expect to see many things that aren't
really correct according to the grammatical rules, but "everyone says
that" :)

I don't approve of substandard English but I find myself saying things
such as "Like you said" (should be "As you said") or "I am laying in
bed" (should be "I am lying in bed") etc.

Among teenagers there is a really detestable practice of using the verb
"to be" with the word "like", often with short pauses as a substitute
for the verb "say".

Example:
I was, like, "Let's watch TV," and she was like, "No I can't, I have
homework."

Means, in correct English:
I said, "Let's watch TV," and she said "No, I can't, I have homework."

This sounds TERRIBLE but you will hear people (age 12-25) everywhere
using this construct if you come to the USA or watch USA TV-programs
meant for teenagers or featuring teenagers.

Reply via email to