Since DNS changes can take a while to propagate, we do not remove down hosts from the round-robin. Instead, we bring up a new network interface on one of the other hosts, with the IP address the down host was using. cosign's replication is not explicitly designed to deal with this type of scenario, so we try to fix the problem within minutes, if possible, and move the IP address back to its own machine. A better solution would be to have a hot-spare machine sitting idle that can be quickly configured as a central weblogin server to replace the downed host.

The cosign filters are good at dealing with cosignd hosts that are down, so the main reason we move the IP address to another machine is so that some percentage of users don't get a "Server not responding" error in their web browsers when they are redirected to authenticate.

               Mark Montague
               ITCS Web/Database Team
               The University of Michigan
               [EMAIL PROTECTED]