On 23 Oct 2008, at 16:28, Mark Montague wrote:
> The cosign filters are good at dealing with cosignd hosts that are
> down, so the main reason we move the IP address to another machine
> is so that some percentage of users don't get a "Server not
> responding" error in their web browsers when they are redirected to
> authenticate.

This is an excellent point.  The cosign filters don't need (or want)
load balancing or anything like it.  Browsers, on the other hand,
vary widely in their ability to respond reasonably to down HTTP
servers.  If you're not prepared like Mark is to have someone oncall
to bring a down IP up on another machine, then a load balancer for
the HTTP interface might improve the user login experience.

:wes

ps It's very effective to bring the IP up on a host that is not
running HTTP or cosignd, so connection refused is returned quickly.