Am I to gather that the main release 3.03 simply does not work in 2008 R2?
I¹m seeing there are significant configuration and behavioral differences in
IIS from 2008, and when I try to make things match up they invariably revert
themselves.  The DefaultAppPool for example is set to Classic and
ApplicationPoolIdentity instead of Integrated and NetworkService like in
2008.  Trying to change those only sticks for a short while, then it reverts
itself back.  I¹ve also at one person¹s recommendation tried to disable
32bit applications in the pool, but invariably that re-enables itself as
well.  This does of course lead me to question if there are huge bugs in IIS
in R2, or if there are other forces at work reverting these that I¹m not
aware of.

I also find that having the <validation> key under the <cosign> section
added to the applicationHost.config causes the 503 to go away because it
causes the module to become unregistered and therefore not used.  If I have
this line in place but leave it as the example instead of setting it for our
location, then it doesn¹t unload the module, but the app pool shutdown and
503 issue continues.

So yea... Any other ideas or do I need to just move to the beta 3.1 because
it¹s more stable than the release 3.03?  The rapid fail doesn¹t do anything
unfortunately, other than make the failure take longer and fill the event
viewer.

Thanks,
Yadin