Marion,

You ask why the Rev Knox was trying to collect the tithes. The answer is
probably that he was the local Church of Ireland Minister and so legally
entitled to collect the tithes for his parish.

Tithes were a system used commonly across Europe, not just in Ireland, for
paying for the upkeep of the local church and the Minister’s salary etc.
Originally paid in kind, but later in cash, and supposedly 10% of your
income.  It was compulsory. In countries where nearly everyone was a member
of the same church it wasn’t too controversial, though no-one likes paying
taxes, but in Ireland where the majority of the population weren’t members
of the Church of Ireland, it was resented very much. Who wants to pay for
somebody else’s church? Not surprisingly, there was widespread opposition
to the tithe system across Ireland. Many people who were not a member of
the Church of Ireland refused to pay. Periodically there was civil unrest.
This in Urney looks to be an example.

Tithes eventually disappeared around the 1860s when the Church of Ireland
was disestablished. That is, it was no longer the state church.

Elwyn