Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Len Swindley
Sent: 10 September 2017 05:35
To: CoTyroneList@cotyroneireland.com

From: Len Swindley
Sent: Sunday, 10 September 2017 2:30 PM
To: Marion

Hello Marion,
The Rev. Charles Knox who was incumbent of Urney 1813-14 was brother to Rev.
William Knox (later Bishop of Derry). They were sons of Thomas Knox of
Dungannon, Co. Tyrone, 1st Viscount Northland (later 1st Earl of Ranfurly).
Robert Knox, 2nd son of Charles became Primate of All Ireland.
Rev. Charles of Urney was not removed, but resigned Urney following his
elevation to the archdeaconry of Armagh.
Both the Established Church and Trinity College, Dublin gained their income
from lands in all counties granted to them following the Reformation. Many of
these lands were disposed of following the Act of Disestablishment.
I am unable to comment on the roles of Andrew Ferguson Knox and Thomas F Knox
post Griffiths Valuation. Perhaps their wills will indicate if they purchased
some of the Urney townlands?
The Derry Estate records have been deposited in PRONI, Belfast: early surviving
records include Rentals commencing 1617 and numerous petitions from tenants
1768-1803.

Trust this helps,
Len Swindley

Sent from Mail for Windows 10