I'm a maildir newbie and I'm migrating users from a UW IMAP server to
Courier IMAP.  This requires converting a whole bunch of mbox files in the
mail directories for each user from mbox format to maildir format.  I'm
using the mb2md.pl script to do the conversion and it works great for the
majority of users.

However, one particular user has a large number of mail folders arranged
in the following directory structure

/home/user/
   |-a/
     |-a1user
     |-aardvark
     |-abc
    [...]
   |-b/
     |-bad
     |-boy
     |-bunk
    [...]

Basically on the old server each mbox file is located in the directory
whose name is the first letter of the mbox file.  There are 36 directories
in all (0 through 9 and a through z).  When these mbox files are converted
to maildir format the resulting number of directories created under
~/Maildir exceeds 32k and the system no longer allows more maildir
directories.

I would like to find a way to do the maildir conversion in a way that will
preserve the existing UNIX sub-directory structure so that I don't run
into the 32k limit of directory names.  Ie. instead of

/home/user/
   |-Maildir/
     |-.a.a1user/
     |-.a.aardvark/
     |-.a.abc/
    [...]
     |-.b.bad/
     |-.b.boy/
     |-.b.bunk/
    [...]

where everything is under ~/Maildir/, instead I want it to look like:

/home/user/
    |-Maildir/
      |-.a/
         |-.a1user/
         |-.aardvark/
         |-.abc/
        [...]
      |-.b/
         |-.bad/
         |-.boy/
         |-.bunk/
        [...]

thus limiting the actual number of UNIX sub-directories under ~/Maildir.
I've tried doing something like the following:

for d in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w \
          x y z ; do
          mb2md.pl -s /home/user/$d -R -d /home/user/Maildir/.$d
done

However, although the above seems to create the correct UNIX sub-directory
structure, none of the sub-folders are seen by Courier IMAP and therefore
not accessible to the user.  Am I creating these sub-directories
incorrectly or is there another way I should be doing this?

Antonio Querubin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]