> Basically on the old server each mbox file is located in the directory
> whose name is the first letter of the mbox file.  There are 36 directories
> in all (0 through 9 and a through z).  When these mbox files are converted
> to maildir format the resulting number of directories created under
> ~/Maildir exceeds 32k and the system no longer allows more maildir
> directories.
>
> I would like to find a way to do the maildir conversion in a way that will
> preserve the existing UNIX sub-directory structure so that I don't run
> into the 32k limit of directory names.

You can't do this.  The Maildir spec does not allow for unix folders to be
in subfolders.  All IMAP accesible folders *must* be under Maildir.  The
only way to change that would be to rewrite Courier's Maildir code,
breaking compatibility with the Maildir standard.  Your options are:

  -move to a FS that supports more than 32k folders (not sure which ones do)
  -keep this user on mbox
  -force the user to cut down on the number of IMAP folders they have
(seriously 32k? performance is gonna suck anyways)

Why in the world does this user need to have 32,000 IMAP folders?

Jay
--
Jay Lee
Network / Systems Administrator