Francis Galiegue wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> At work, we have a middle term project (planned for this summer) to migrate
> all mail to a newer server. This implies changing the authentication scheme
> (this I can handle, after all _I_ will make the authentication scheme and
> have prior experience with Courier IMAP) and the mailboxes --- and it's this
> latter point which causes me headaches.
>
> The situation is as such: for now we use uw-imapd, which stores the INBOX in
> the MAIL environment variable, which is setup to /var/spool/mail/$USER. For
> the subdirectories, everything is stored in $HOME/mail for each user (so, for
> instance, a mailbox named Test in the IMAP tree would be in an mbox file
> named $HOME/mail/Test).
>
> I know programs to convert from mailboxes to Maildirs exist (I have even used
> one at some occasion, with success). But the problem here is that the INBOX
> and the subdirectories are _not_ located at the same place, so I cannot use
> this tool to migrate both the INBOX and subdirectorires separately - or can
> I?
>
> Would you have any suggestions on how I can achieve this? I'm at a loss here
> and would appreciate any pointers, even if it's the RTFM kind of pointers.

I have successfully used IMAPCopy
(http://home.arcor.de/armin.diehl/imapcopy/imapcopy.html) in the past.
It is a small program that makes IMAP connections to the source and
destination servers and copies all messages/folders and message
attributes across.  It's biggest advantage is that you don't ever need
to touch the backend mail storage since each IMAP server itself is
interfacing with the raw mail files (meaning it will write the files the
way it likes them).  It's biggest disadvantage is that you need to know
the username/password for each user you are moving but it's a question
of choosing your poison I guess.

Jay