Le mardi 19 juin 2007, Sam Varshavchik a écrit :
> Francis Galiegue writes:
>
> > So far, the only successful attempt was with KMail, but I had to use the
quite
> > ugly syntax INBOX.firstleveldir.secondleveldir.
>
> What syntax were you expecting to use?

Ermwell, just right click on the subfolder, select "New subfolder", enter
name, and voilà... With Dovecot/wu-imapd and mbox storage, It Just Works(tm).
Heck, it even works with OutLook. With Courier IMAP and Maildir++ storage, it
does _not_, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a fact. What I find really

I don't expect a mail client to send different commands to different IMAP
server software, since it cannot tell them apart anyway. Neither can it tell
whether the storage is mbox or Maildir. So, what's wrong?

> > On our internal system, which uses wu-imapd (I know) and mbox storage, I
have
> > no trouble at all creating subfolders, even if a folder cannot contain
> > messages.
>
> Neither does Courier-IMAP.

Maybe so...

> >          I can even migrate the whole mbox tree to a Maildir tree and it's
> > viewed correctly by all MUAs cited above.
>
> See?  You would not've been able to do that, if it weren't the case.

As stated, the problem is with creation. I didn't expect the mbox/Maildir
conversion to fail at all.

> > What's more, I don't see any relevant configuration directive in the IMAP
> > server configuration file that could help --- at least, not a directive
that
> > is documented.
>
> There are no configuration directives that would somehow allow Courier-IMAP
> to fix limitations in IMAP clients.

[...]
> It works just fine, as long as the mail client properly implements IMAP.

This argument I've heard and reject outright. I want things to work, and as
they don't currently, I'm trying to find a reason.

If it's _really_ a problem with clients, then I think the Courier IMAP page
should have a "Client issues" page such as this one for Dovecot:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Clients

Regards,
--
Francis Galiegue, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
12bis rue de la Pierre Levée, 75011 PARIS