Eduardo Kienetz writes:

On 7/11/07, Sam Varshavchik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Eduardo Kienetz writes:

> hmm, this made me think about courier-imap... and my graduation project...
> Sam, do you think some courier-imap operations could be parallelised
> (via MPI on a cluster) to improve performance?

There's nothing much to parallelize. The only operations worth parallelizing
are SEARCH and SORT. However, nobody really uses SORT, except some very
simple clients. Most IMAP clients cache all message metadata, and do sorting
themselves. And I don't know how much you can buy in savings from doing any
kind of parallelization of SEARCH. It's doubtfull whether the overhead and
complexity of setting up a parallelization framework will buy you much. The
overhead still consists of reading message files, which is an I/O bound
process where parallelization isn't going to help much.

Oh noes, gonna have to find something else to parallelize for my
graduation project :P
BTW, don't you happen to have something/idea?

Yes, but it does not involve parallelization.