On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 05:17:49PM -0300, Eduardo Kienetz wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Brian Candler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >one
> >> OK. But which one would be the fastest (most efficient)?
> >
> >Don't use ReiserFS. When it breaks, the entire filesystem is toast and
> >non-recoverable. That is, it has no reliable equivalent of e2fsck.
>
> I really don't get what you mean...
> Have you ever used reiserfsck ?
> reiserfsck --rebuild-tree  ?

Yes. We spent the best part of a week trying to recover the filesystem.
Everything was lost.

This was about a year ago, so maybe the tools are better now.

> hmm, this made me think about courier-imap... and my graduation project...
> Sam, do you think some courier-imap operations could be parallelised
> (via MPI on a cluster) to improve performance?

I doubt that would be worthwhile. You get parallelisation for free with
courier-imap because typically you have many users connected concurrently,
and at any one time several may be performing their own operations, so the
workload is divided between CPUs already.

What I was trying to say was: if you do a SEARCH operation across a big IMAP
folder, and you find it's slow, then that may mean that the folder is not
indexed sufficiently. That is, it's an algorithmic issue. The filesystem
will have little or no impact on performance because all it's doing is
opening and reading each file in turn, for which I suspect most filesystems
give almost identical performance, limited by the drive's seek time.

If that's true, then code changes to courier-imap would be required to
improve performance for those operations.

Regards,

Brian.