>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dennis
Gesker
>Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:42 PM
>To: courier-imap@lists.sourceforge.net
>Subject: [Courier-imap] Large Subfolder Problem

>I have a user who has consolidated a large number of messages (25970) into
one folder.

>When I check the 'cur' directory or the subfolder all of the message appear
to be there and intact. However, we can seem to open this folder using the
>mail client (Thunderbird).

>Any hints?

>Thanks
>Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I've had this problem as well. Thunderbird starts choking when more than a
few thousand messages are there. Outlook 2003 or 2007 can handle this load
however -- given enough time to download the headers. Outlook 2007 handles
this type of situation quite well actually (Outlook 2003 was a bit unstable
when handling this many messages). The max I've ever had to clean up was a
bit over 50k after a particularly nasty joe job.

If outlook is not available, write a script to split the directory in 3k
messages each. Just do a maildirmake on say .foldername.$count and move 3k
to .foldername.$count new/ and iterate until done. DON'T start spawning
directories off of Maildir/ (INBOX.) and don't forget to add the new folders
to ~/Maildir/courierimapsubscribed . If the user does not want the messages
and you can determine a pattern to apply you can write a script to simply
delete the files (or move them about) while the user is not logged on and
you have verified that no courier-imap or courier-pop instances are running
under that user name. When done, also delete the two "courier" files
(courierimapkeywords and courierimapuiddb) that hold (mostly) ephemeral data
so they will be reconstructed.

Another,  rather aggravating, way of solving the problem is to set your
timeout WAY up, make certain thunder bird does not store any messages, nor
automatically check for new mail. I find that Thunderbird will then fetch a
few thousand messages, which can then be dealt with. Compress the folder,
Then repeat and wait, deal with the next few thousand, etc. This is a VERY
annoying way to solve a mail bomb though. I've had thunderbird max the
number of connections for that ip and netblock with repeated connections. So
I suspect you might have to play with the config editor before trying this
out.

HTH

Sam S.