On 5/14/2008, Christopher E. Brown ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> And those of us with better than a TB of mail for more than 100K
> accounts serviced by a rack worth of load balanced servers and a HA
> NFS infrastructure would be SOL.
>
> True Maildir without all the indexing addins (like Cyrus started
> with) is NFS safe and scales.

Currently, yes, but this is some of the stuff (features) currently in
the works (clustering/HA).

1.1 works very well with NFS right now (1.0.x had serious issues), even
with the indexing...

> You take a hit up front, but you gain it back in the ability to have
> dozens of servers, where any server can handle any mailbox, including
> multiple servers accessing the box at the same time.  (As it happens
> the IMAP client I am using now has 5 sessions up, each to a separate
> server the the LB and all accessing the same account.)

Proper support for this kind of setup is not far off with dovecot, but
you can actually do this now, if you are willing/able to do some work...
just ask on the list if you don't know how (I can't help you there)...

> We run courier *because* it uses true Maildir without any index based
> acceleration.

Dovecot uses 'true maildir', so not sure what you mean by that. You
don't *have* to use the indexing if you don't want to...

But hey, whatever works for you... I just have a single server, and
dovecot is so much faster than courier was it almost scares me... :)

Now, imagine having all of your clustering/HA features on *top* of the
speed that comes from the indexing...