Andrew Nady writes:

On July 8, 2008, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Andrew Nady writes:
> The setting that I'm trying to accomplish, is an IMAP server hosting
> local filesystem Maildirs for an ADS server.
> So far I got a working pam and winbind setup, the only unresolved issue
> is a pam "session" call to perform:
>  "session         required     pam_mkhomedir.so   skel=/etc/skel/
> umask=0022" When I create the $homedir and copy the skel manually, the
> setup works fine.

courier-authlib does not implement session tracking and session support.
Once an authentication request is completed, authdaemond has no further
contact with the imapd server process, and has no further knowledge of its
existence, or when it terminates, so no session tracking is possible.

> Is there a way to make courier to generate a $homedir and copy the skel?

Only by writing some custom code, yourself. Furthermore, with no $HOME, and
no $HOME/Maildir, it's somewhat unclear how the account is supposed to
receive any email.

The reason why $HOME doesn't exist it's due to the fact that no local users are available, only the MS ADS server hosts the list of "domain users". Therefore when a user is being authenticated and has no $HOME nor $HOME/Maildir the calling of pam_mkhomedir.so should generate the above from /etc/skel/ as per pam session.

If there's no $HOME/Maildir, then where does the mail go?