Chris writes:

Quoting Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com>:

That's fine.

courier-authlib is a separate module. It does not know anything about
what's in the imapd configuration file. MAILDIRPATH is processed by the
imapd daemon after a succesful login.

Well, it seems to be working now....

But I must confess I am confused. The authtest still says "maildir: (none)". I understand you say it doesn't read /etc/courier/imapd -- but then where does it get this info from?

It doesn't. It does its job, the userid/password is authenticated, and imapd is started. Since imapd does not receive maildir's location from authdaemond, it uses the default value from the imapd configuration file.