On 6/11/2013 3:51 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Jakob Bohm writes:
>
>> On 6/7/2013 12:55 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>
>> > When you have real shared folders, it's quite clear if a shared folder
>> > comes from another mailbox, and you do not have admin privileges on it
>> > (unless the mailbox owner gives it to you).
>> >
>> Just too bad your implementation only works with one commonly
>> available mail
>> client then!
>
> It should work with any IMAP client, with the only difference being
> how smart the client is to automatically create its default folder
> configuration. Any IMAP client worth's using should know all about
> IMAP namespaces, which are a core protocol feature. It's only a
> question of whether an IMAP client has enough brains to run the
> NAMESPACE command automatically, see that there are shared namespaces,
> and configure them accordingly.

Unfortunately, this is not my experience.  MS Outlook (various versions)
has notoriously broken IMAP implementations, which barely handle a
single namespace.  Squirrelmail has a hard to understand config, and so
far I have found no descriptions of how to make it work with the #shared
namespace (there is a half-documented description of how to use an
obscure configuration wizard to make it talk to the main Courier-IMAP
namespace, and only if the server is not already live).

As you have written yourself, the IMAP4rev1 specifications are so hard
to interpret, that it is necessary to test every assumption against
other implementations to see what works and to work around
inconsistencies amongst the implementations you need the code to work
with.  Even a highly knowledgeable user like myself has little chance of
even understanding the protocol behavior.  And asking the IMAP spec lead
for guidance has now gone from very difficult to needing an actual
miracle to get a sensible answer back.  (You may wish to update your FUD
page to incorporate that change).

So with the landscape of available servers and clients changing, you may
wish to compare notes with the remaining creators of other FOSS servers.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  http://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2730 Herlev, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10