Kim Kawai writes:

Get my user to do a clean out. Ha, you do not know this user! I've been
telling them forever their mailboxes are just ridiculous but these are
the two bosses and they think they need to save anything and everything,
including every single message we've got from cron daemons in the past
10 years.

The user suspects that it specifically has something to do with his
Archive folder but as far as I can tell, it's being treated like any
other folder. Does anybody know anybody who has 173,000+ emails in their
Archive folder and doesn't have any problems.

ls -lh /var/vmboxes/user\@domain.com/.Archive/cur/ | wc -l
173981

I have no knowledge of the client your user is running, but simply due to the nature of IMAP, a client has to refresh the state of each message in the folder every time the folder gets opened. Since the last time the folder was opened, any message in the folder could've had some message flag, like read/unread, or replied, changed. One of IMAP's technical shortcomings is that a client has no other way to resynchronize other than to download the status of every message in the folder.

Which, with that many messages, is going to take a while. Even if you're on a fast LAN, that's still a mind-numbing process.

The only possible suggestion I have for you is a workaround hack that, at least might save the trouble of deleting the IMAP account and adding it back: remove the courierimapuiddb file in the folder. The next time the client opens it, this should have the effect of making the client think the folder has been deleted and recreated from scratch, and it will proceed to download all existing messages in the folder, again.