On 2013-07-13 11:30 AM, Charles Marcus <char...@cocosolutions.com> wrote:
On 2013-07-12 7:15 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com> wrote:
Cyrus does extensive indexing, as I understand. Maybe that's changed, but as I recall you can't run Cyrus on parallel nodes, all chewing the same IMAP mailboxes.

Correct, and I should have been more clear - this is precisely the problem the dovecot director was designed to solve. If only one server is ever accessing the indexes, there is no reason for the director.

And just to wrap this topic up, all the Dovecot Director does, which completely and totally solves the locking problems on NFS (or other network file systems) when more than one machine is accessing the message store, is make sure that each user is directed to the SAME machine/server, every time, regardless of what client they are using, how many connections they have or where these connections are coming from.

This makes sure that there is *never* any locking contention among the different servers (since said locks are on a per user basis).

It works, and works very well.

Best regards,

*/Charles /*