Hi all,

For some time I've had an issue with folder creation and accessing those
folders, in fact it's why I subscribed to this group in the first place.

 From what I recall (this was a year or so ago) I had one of those
late-night fixing sessions that turned into, well, something else that
starts with f.. The server was functional but users could not create new
email folders. Somehow I had messed up file permissions with Courier
which meant it was messing up folder permissions, or so I thought.

Being busy with a business to run, I couldn't do much for a while. It
was functional so long as we stuck to the folders we had before the
failure.

I finally got some time and motivation today to sit down and work with
it with a second server built to the same specifications (much gratitude
to the person who trusted me with enough access to see the necessary
file permissions!)

So I worked on it for a while today, comparing permissions and so on and
confirming that yes, Courier was resetting the permissions on folders
accessed. I discovered that I'd managed to set /usr/bin/* to "setuid"
(must have typed a * when I meant to type file name, or been meaning to
go to a previous command and set something globally and got "chmod"
rather than what I wanted. Maybe it was in response to something from
rkhunter. Either way I was tired, I shouldn't have been working on a
server without sleep, and I screwed up.

Anyway, I reset the permissions back to what the other server has on
/usr/bin, and that took care of Courier changing permissions. But that
wasn't the issue. Even with rebooting the server (and a nervous few
minutes while I waited for it to accept SSH...) did not fix it.

It was a little while longer before I noticed this from the listing :

drwxrwxr-x 2 virtual virtual  4096 Nov  8  2014
courierimaphieracl        <<<<<< This one
drwxrwx--- 2 virtual virtual  4096 Dec 29 12:55 courierimapkeywords
-rwxrwxr-- 1 virtual virtual    73 Nov  8  2014 courierimapsubscribed
-rw-r--r-- 1 virtual virtual  4847 Dec 29 12:49 courierimapuiddb
drwxrwx--- 2 virtual virtual 12288 Dec 29 12:49 cur
drwxrwx--- 2 virtual virtual  4096 Dec 29 12:49 new
drwxrwx--- 2 virtual virtual  4096 Dec 29 16:24 tmp

The other server did not have "courierimaphieracl" in it's lists. I have
a test account so I went into the test account's directory and moved
that "courierimapheiracl" elsewhere (just in case I needed it after all)
and checked.

Fixed.

Behaviour back to as normal, I can create/delete/move messages between
folders at will, rather than getting  a "trycreate" error from
Thunderbird when it tries to access a newly made folder.

Or so I thought. After resetting the Courier permissions and rebooting
the machine I still had problems creating new folders (could create but
couldn't access, logging in with another mail program on another machine
would show the folders created but also not accessible). I just went in
to one of the other accounts I haven't yet reset and it's working fine.
Put the courierimaphieracl folder back into my own account and the test
account and they work fine as well. Maybe I should've restarted
Thunderbird.

So, this is not a gauranteed fix, but it has worked for me. Most likely
being sure Courier had the right permissions is what fixed it :
ls /usr/bin/co*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  5480 Jun 28  2012 courier-config
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 71884 Jun 28  2012 couriertls

While I'm still not sure what fixed it (reset privs, restart machine,
still no go; remove dir, go; replace dir, still go ^o^), it works and
the users are happy. No issues so far although it hasn't been that long.
At least, hopefully, this will help anyone else who makes such a mess of
things and for some reason cannot spot what the hell they did.

(For those wondering, mail server was built using Flurdy's instructions
at http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix - but screwed up later by me by not
following the instruction of "don't fix complex systems when
drunk/tired/totally stupid")