Sysop wrote:

> Tomas Fasth wrote:
>> I see. Anyway, I like it as it is. The list is just distributing
>> messages on behalf of real people. I appreciate to see the original
>> poster as sender.
>> <tomas/>
>>
> Seeing the sender is one thing, changing the 'replay-to' header is
> completely different.  You can see who it came from just fine, but when
> you click reply, it replies to the list, and not to the individual sender.

I can see your point. But I believe that the problem is not the list
manager but your mail user agent (mail client). All the information is
already in the headers:

Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Besides, Reply-To: should relate to the originator, not the intermediate
sender. That's why it should not be tampered with by a list manager.
Instead, your mua should present a richer set of reply options:

Reply to poster => Populate To: with From:, or Reply-to: if present
Reply to sender => Populate To with Sender:
Reply to list => Populate To with List-Post: and Cc: with Cc:
Reply to all => Populate To with From: or Reply-To: and Cc: with Cc:

 > This message for example, I hit 'reply-all' adn there is 4 names in
 > the list... Now we could have 4 different versions of this thread
 > floating around, half in the list, half out, causing all kinds of
 > confusion.

I don't understand why this is a problem for you, other than you might
receive double copies yourself if other people replys to all. Those
who's handle large amounts of email each day, are likely to filter list
postings into separate folders. Being on Cc: is a way to keep track of
the threads you're active in (those will stay in the inbox, the rest
drops into a separate folder). Of course, the usefulness of all this
depends on your own preferences. I just wanted to emphasize that not
everyone see this as a problem, but rather a useful feature.

> The 'feature' is maddenly annoying, and is hardcoded into the
> sourceforge software set, and the authors of SF (VA Linux) arn't going
> to change it.  SO, we have to either put up with it, or use better
> software *Couriermlm*

There's nothing wrong with the MailMan software. It offers out of the
box settings like: Direct postings to: a) Poster b) This list c)
Explicit address (using Reply-To:), although they recommand in the help
text not to "highjack" the Reply-To: field. If those are disabled, it's
the administrator to blame, not the software. If they used Couriermlm it
could still be disabled.

<tomas/>