Hello Sam, everyone.

I hope this is an actual problem, because I've been going nuts trying to figure out
what's happening. I have access to another system running an older version of this
same suite of apps, and it seems to work (tho much different OS/kernel rev).

Anyway, here we go:

RH7.2 / 2.4.17 / latest qmail/varvpop

/usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/authdaemonrc :

        authmodulelist="authvchkpw authpam"
        authdaemonvar="/usr/lib/courier-imap/var/authdaemon"

[root@che courier-imap]# ls -sal /usr/lib/courier-imap/var/authdaemon/
total 12
4 drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Mar  2 22:51 .
4 drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Mar  2 18:42 ..
0 -rw-------    1 root     root            0 Mar  2 22:51 lock
4 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root            4 Mar  2 22:51 pid
0 srwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Mar  2 22:51 socket

as you can see, the authdaemon dir is 700/root/root as per the docs .

What troubles me is this socket...

Mar  3 11:46:07 che sqwebmail: authdaemon: s_connect() failed: No such file or
directory

Why is the socket connect function failing to find
/usr/lib/courier-imap/var/authdaemon/socket  ?
and where is that hardcoded into the source? authdaemonrc claims that authdaemond
doesn't use it directly:

# authdaemonvar is here, but is not used directly by authdaemond.  It's
# used by various configuration and build scripts, so don't touch it!

any ideas?