Ok I've created three files .courier .mailfilter and autoreply I've set
permissions of all three files to 700 and the owner is the same
user:group that owns the $HOME. I am also using mail drop due to my
spamassassin requirements though the autoreply doesn't seem to reply?

.courier file contents:

| /usr/lib/courier/bin/maildrop

.mailflter file contents:

FROM='[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
     import SENDER
     if ($SENDER eq "")
     {
      SENDER=$FROM
     }

     cc "./Maildir"

     AUTOREPLYFROM=$FROM
     `/usr/lib/courier/bin/mailbot -A "X-Sender: $FROM" -A "From:
$AUTOREPLYFROM" -m "./autoreply" $SENDMAIL -t -f ""`

     EXITCODE = 0
     exit

Autoreply just contains a text message:

n/a

Does anyone notice what I'm missing here?