On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> James A Baker writes:
>

> > Then, it looks for "recent" messages (those in the Maildir, but not
> > previously added to the uiddb file, right?) and independently sorts
[snip]
> > sorted list of "known" messages.
> >
> > Right?
>
> Correct.  The sorting is done not strictly by filename.  The first filename
> component is presumed to be the timestamp.  So, if any, the timestamps are
> compared first, and if both timestamps are identical the filenames are then
> compared in full.
>

> > Then it assigns to each message a message sequence number (the one
> > it'll have at the beginning of the session anyway) based on its order
> > in the full list.
> >
> > Have I got it?
>
> Correct.

Gentlemen, thanks very much for your help.  I tried this on one of my
IMAP folders.  I logged out, deleted my courierimapuiddb file, and ran a
new script which parses for a date header (as before), gets a timestamp
from it based on the standard "number of seconds since 1/1/1970" route,
and rewrites the first portion (before the first ".") of the filename as
this new stamp.  Then, I logged back in and when to that folder.  Perfect!

Thanks very much, again.  I haven't processed ALL (lots) of my mail with
this, but it looks like it should work wonderfully.

Regards,
--
DY