Sam Varshavchik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Julian Mehnle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > RFC 2821, section 4.1.3 explicitly allows @[ip_address]-style
> > addressing (e.g. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>), but Courier
> > doesn't.  I get a "513 Syntax error" when trying to send a mail
> > to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> through my own Courier
> > installation.  Why is that?
>
> It's not supported, that's all.  This archaic, pre-DNS address
> notation is not implemented or recognized.
>
> Now, please tell us why you need this, without referring to the
> RFC in any way.

Thanks for the reply.

I want to send mail to the postmaster of a host with a broken DNS MX configuration.
If I try so send mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, then Courier returns a "This domain's
DNS violates RFC 1035." message to me.  I checked the domain's DNS MX configuration
manually, and it is indeed broken.

Is there another way to send mail to "postmaster at IP address"?