In that case, then I know the answer to your question.

The reason you have to run the spamassassin twice, is because the output of
this first run is never used...

I think this gets back to how queue message files are not editable and so
on... the only data used from your first run is the return code to make a
decision, whereas the second run is in delivery mode, and the modified
message is actually used to deliver the message.

I wonder if there is a way to use your smtpfilter to silently mark the
message as delivered and handle it directly, but that might break delivery
to bcc, cc, etc. addresses.

Does that explain it for you or confuse you further? Regardless, I think
your bounce trick is a nice one.

Do you see a way to run a maildrop filter from a central location on
recept - like maildroprc? I've been moving away from per user config files
to a system based on database lookup and a centralized maildroprc with
conditional code (based on environment variables) - would be nice to do the
same for this type of filtering.

m/