On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:56:51AM -0800, Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
> In that case, then I know the answer to your question.
>
> The reason you have to run the spamassassin twice, is because the output of
> this first run is never used...
>
> I think this gets back to how queue message files are not editable and so
> on... the only data used from your first run is the return code to make a
> decision, whereas the second run is in delivery mode, and the modified
> message is actually used to deliver the message.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to use your smtpfilter to silently mark the
> message as delivered and handle it directly, but that might break delivery
> to bcc, cc, etc. addresses.
>
> Does that explain it for you or confuse you further? Regardless, I think
> your bounce trick is a nice one.

Yeah, I understand what's going on.. but I'm thinking there isn't a good
way around it unless the architecture of courier somehow changes. In
that case, I'll settle for running it twice.

> Do you see a way to run a maildrop filter from a central location on
> recept - like maildroprc? I've been moving away from per user config files
> to a system based on database lookup and a centralized maildroprc with
> conditional code (based on environment variables) - would be nice to do the
> same for this type of filtering.
>
> m/

Hrrm. Part of my rationale for doing this is that filters for a
particular user are based on that users's spamassassin prefs, as well as
looking at that users's spamassassin bayesian filtering databases.

I don't see a good way to do that with a global maildroprc.

The idea here is to provide the end-user with complete control over what
gets rejected or not, and per-user whitelists, etc. And since whether a
message gets rejected or not is per-user, it will cause spammers sending
to a bunch of addressess on my server a bunch of grief with various
users rejecting the message.

Hopefully there aren't any land-mines lurking in this idea I haven't
thought of ;)

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz