> >> Courier does not accept mail to nonexistent local addresses.
> >>
> >> Problem solved.

I just verified this not to be true in my case. I removed the default
alias for my primary local domain, sent a message, and the message was
accepted by SMTP and then resulted in a bounce message. Of course if
their is a way to configure this differently I would love to know.

> > I setup the virtual domains using the webadmin tool. Looking at the
> > configuration files, it appears to be adding an alias of the form:
> >
> >    @domain.org: domain
> >
> > And then .courier-username files in the domain account deliver some of
> > the mail to local users or forward it on to an external email address.
> > What concerns me, however, is that any mail not matching one of the
> > dotfiles is bounced, and when the From address was forged, a double
> > bounce is then delivered to the postmaster.
>
> Check whether the domain account home directory has global read and execute
> permissions.  When receiving mail, courieresmtpd runs as the courier user.
> If it has read and execute permissions on the home directory it will refuse
> to accept any mail that does not have a matching .courier-username file.

I made all home directories world readable (the .courier files already
were), and I still experience the same problem as before. Specifically,
mail to non-existant local users and virtual domain addresses that are
not handled by existing dotfiles is first accepted by SMTP and then
results in the bounce message:

   <<< 550 User unknown.

I would prefer behavior similar to that achieved with the BOFH filters,
where SMTP connections addressed to addresses that could not be
delivered/processed would simply be refused rather than accepted and
then bounced.

Is there a way to configure courier to do this?

thanks,
Charles

--
Water heater