Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> I am going to be setting up anti-spam and anti-virus with courier mta and
> other free software tools.
>
> Can folks here suggest their entries in a top-ten reading list?

Hi Mark,

there are some things to think about.

Will this be gateway scanner or a local delivery scanner? If you want to implement a gateway scanner courier let's you only decide between deliver and reject. You don't have any chance to modify a message within courier and then submit it.

Another picture is local delivery. You can use spamassassin without problems. you just have to set up a .mailfilter or a global maildroprc file and enable maildrop. I have no expirience with virusscanning and local delivery. But I think this should also work.

My favorite setup for a gateway scanner is:

mailscanner (www.mailscanner.info)
spamassassin
clamav
postfix
+ if you like Webmin with modules for mailscanner and postfix

On Debian the intital setup takes about 1 hour and you can adopt this setup to your needs for almost any scenario.

For local delivery I only have experience with spamassassin. It is very stable and recognizes about 80% of spam in our setups without false positives.

My favourite mta is courier anyway. I only miss a filter hook, which allows me to change the content of a message through smtp delivery. This is why I use postfix for gateway scanners.

Best regards Manfred

p.s. I know this was no top-ten list but hopefully it helps you anyway.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IT Product Guide on ITManagersJournal Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give us Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out more http://productguide.itmanagersjournal.com/guidepromo.tmpl _______________________________________________ courier-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users