Sam Varshavchik wrote:

There is no second pass.

I never implemented recursive mail LDAP alias lookups.

This is what I thought you were referring to earlier, and there's no way this worked before, simply because I never implemented recursive LDAP mail alias lookups.

I believe you, but I know I'm not crazy[1]. So I thought that perhaps we found a bug that looked like a feature and I spent some time with an older courier trying to reproduce it. I failed miserably. Whatever was causing aliases to loop must have been a combination of various misconfigurations working together.

Plus, I have to question whether it is proper to have recursive LDAP aliases in the first place.

Of course it's not, and it can lead to chaos if the aliases happen to loop into full circle. But it happens, especially when too many cooks are stirring the soup, as the case is when IT delegates e-mail address management to department secretaries and the like. A certain degree of forgivingness on such things can help offload boring routine tasks from qualified sysadmins to where they belong. So while I think you're absolutely right from a technical point of view, a "bug" like this can come pretty handy in practical life.

[1] Yeah, I know, that's what they all say...

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IntelliVIEW -- Interactive Reporting Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop reports. Save time by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to DOC, XLS, RTF, etc. Download a FREE copy at http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl _______________________________________________ courier-users mailing list courier-users@lists.sourceforge.net Unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users