Ben Kennedy wrote:

I have to admit I am starting to come around to understanding Rodrigo's
viewpoint on this, however.  What is the *downside* of having Courier
retry a different (same-priority if exists, or next lowest, as usual) MX
rather than the same *potentially*-broken one, after the usual interval?

Offhand, I'd say that it would be additional complication in the connection logic for the benefit of fixing servers that time out during established connections, and no other error condition. The return on the work would be very minimal.