You are correct Sam. I was in error.  It doesn't have to do with the DATA
being followed immediately by the RCPT TO. Additionally, the k2 server
appears to deal with pipelining just fine. (as seen from the postfix
session).

Here is a dump of 5 mail sessions. 1 from courier sending mail to k2smtpout,
1 from postfix sending to k2smtpout and 3 from me telnetting to the
k2smtpout machine and using different command sequences. This is exactly as
they show up from tcpdump using tcpdump -s0 -w dump.pcap host
k2smtpout.secureserver.net  and the output from ethereal Follow TCP Stream,
I haven't changed anything.

Based on what I'm seeing here, it's only courier that's having issues, but
I'll be damned if I can figure out why. It's beyond me.

----------------------------------
COURIER
220 k2smtpout05-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net ESMTP
EHLO mail.longboys.net
250-k2smtpout05-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-8BITMIME
250 PIPELINING
MAIL FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> BODY=7BIT
250 Sender accepted.
RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.
Postfix
220 k2smtpout04-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net ESMTP
EHLO mail.longboys.net
250-k2smtpout04-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-8BITMIME
250 PIPELINING
MAIL FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
DATA
250 Sender accepted.
250 Recipient accepted.
354 End your message with a period.

Manual (telnet session)
220 k2smtpout02-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net ESMTP
ehlo mail.longboys.net
250-k2smtpout02-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-8BITMIME
250 PIPELINING
mail from:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> BODY=7BIT
[...]