Bowie Bailey writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Mail forwarding is not a random event. Mail forwarding occurs, presumably,

at the ultimate recipient's request. It is the ultimate recipient that places the forwarding in place, so that the recipient's mail gets
forwarded
to a different destination.

As such, since the whole process is under the complete control of the recipient, the recipient must then recognize that SPF will not be
functional
on forwarded mail. The recipient must concede to disabling SPF as the cost

of having the recipient's mail forwarded. SPF can still be checked, of course, by the forwarder.

This assumes that the recipient has control over the destination server.
This is frequently not the case.

If the recipient has no control over the destination server, then this means that the recipient can't forward mail there. That's the final answer.

                                  I have quite a few of my customers who
request that I forward their mail to Hotmail or another generic freemail
account.  Good luck getting them to cooperate with anything.

Correct. All of that would factor into the decision as to whether to forward mail, and where. Obviously, since Hotmail checks SPF (I'm fairly sure of that) Hotmail cannot be the destination of forwarded mail. That would be an issue between your customers, and Hotmail, and is none of your concern.

So far I haven't had any problems with this, but I'm sure it will come
up eventually.

Probably. But your only responsibility would be to inform your customers of the details, and explain why forwarding their mail to Hotmail will be unreliable, and there's nothing that you can do about it. You have no influence over Hotmail, and you cannot unilaterally change how SMTP works. As such, you are completely out of the loop, and if they still insist on having their mail forwarded, they'll have to accept the responsibility for it. Presumably, you have the default backscatter suppression setting in place. So, if Hotmail refuses mail delivery, the forwarded mail will be lost completely.