Lisa Muir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the protocol for smtp where there are multiple recipients for
> an email, either multiple to, cc or bcc, and one of the recipients is
> rejected at the SMTP submission as being an invalid email address.
>
> Does the email get submitted for everyone else on the distribution
> list except that one recipient?

Yes.
> If the user then re-submits does it get sent to everyone else again
> and again until they delete or fix the error in that one email
> address?

Yes
> This appeared to be how it worked yesterday when a user had a large
> bcc email list with one invalid email address. Shouldn't the protocol
> be that the message does not get submitted to any of the recipients
> until such time as the message is accepted from the sending MUA at
> smtp? Or is this an issue which can be fixed with an upgrade, I'm
> still on Courier 0.56?
If you are sending the email through mailing list software (eg,
courier-mlm) then the mailing list software will automatically handle
the failed recipient without further interaction of the original sender.
If you are sending the email from an email client (Outlook, Thunderbird,
et. al.) then it's the users responsibility to remove the failed
recipient from their list, AND to remove the email out of their outbox
(because most email clients will consider any failure message as meaning
that the email wasn't sent to any recipient, and will keep re-trying).

It's not called "SMTP" for no reason - the "S" is for SIMPLE, and the
obligation is on the client in an SMTP transaction to deal with any
error messages from the server.

HTH,
Tim Lyth