Lisa Muir <34.24...@gmail.com> wrote on 2009-Jan-30:
> its simply illogical to reject a
> message during a submit to an MTA and then have the MTA deliver it
> anyway for some subset of the original distribution list.

The MTA doesn't return an error for the *message* submission, just for the
recipient address submission.  They are different parts of the SMTP transaction.
 A failure after a RCPT TO command (of which you can have as many as you like)
is not the same as a failure during the (one and only) DATA command.

If MTAs refused to accept messages with any bad recipients, then tons of
automated mail systems wouldn't work.  I run Drupal sites, for instance.  Users
enter their own email addresses where they want to get notifications.  Lots of
times they enter their addresses wrong.  :-)  All the daily notifications, all
the site-wide messages, etc. would stop working if courier rejected messages
because any user entered a bad address.

Jeff