In data martedì 27 settembre 2011 23:49:25, Sam Varshavchik ha scritto:
> Passwords can be changed via webmail, with some additional setup. They can
> be stored encrypted, however you must realize that fundamental laws of this
> universe will not allow you to use hash-based authentication via IMAP when
> encrypted passwords are used. The server must have password in plain text,
> in order to be able to recalculate the hashes.

Ok, I assume however I can use plain text password over SSL/TLS, right?

> What do you mean by a mailbox. If you mean a mail folder, they can use any
> IMAP client, of course, or sqwebmail.

Well no, my fault, I mean they must be able to create an account along with
its base maildir without needing a shell access.

> That's what you'll have with virtual shared folders.

Any pointer to something explaining what virtual shared folders are and how to
make them with courier?

> What you won't have with Courier is all the account provisioning
> functionality. Courier has no account provisioning functionality. Rather,
> it's configurable to pull account metadata from alternative options,
> starting with /etc/password, and ending at a replicated LDAP server;
> however how the accounts are provisioned and new mailboxes get created are
> out of scope,

Does that mean, assuming a sql backend, that, once a new account has been
added in the users table, someone has to manually issue the maildirmake
command in a shell? If so, are you aware of any third party web interface that
takes care of account provisioning for courier?