Mark Constable writes:

On 03/01/14 11:24, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Is it possible somehow to get maildir, quota and/or options info when using
>> authpwd or authshadow?
>
> The problem is that there are no fields for any of that, in your /etc/passwd.

Yep, perfectly understandable, I've never used authpwd/authshadow before so I
wanted to see how useful they might be seeing that /etc/{passwd,shadow} already exist. I just thought maybe the comment field in /etc/passwd might provide some
magic by convention.

> What should happn with this one, is the maildir should be /home/ns/markconstable.lan/Maildir, > and owned by the system userid/groupid. Also, check that the sticky bit is not
>  set on the home directory or the maildir.

How about this scenario where /home/ns/markconstable.lan is root owned but both var/ and mail/ are owned by the right uid:gid in /home/ns/markconstable.lan/var/mail?

(where "mail" is the actual maildir)

The reason being for the bizarre path is so I can use this for ssh chroots...

Well, why would you need this var/mail part. Just put the mail into /home/ns/markconstable.lan/Maildir. I don't think you really need it. I think the root ownership of the pseudo-home directory would be fine, it's the maildir's that important.